A. Copy the list below to your own journal and
Bold the actions you are already taking
Underline the actions you plan to start taking
Italicize the actions that don't apply to you
B. Add one (or more) suggested action(s) of your own
C. Leave a comment here, so that she can track the meme to your journal, and copy your suggested action(s) back to my master list.
1. Replace standard incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs
2. Choose energy efficient appliances - I'm working on the power consumption of our computers.
3. Wash clothes in cold(er) water - Colder than what? I suspect this is based on American machines that are controlled by mixer valves rather than using a thermostat.
4. Turn the thermostat of your hot water tank down to 50°C (125°F) - I think I want it warmer than that, but maybe that's unnecessary.
5. Install a programmable thermostat (or turn the heat down over night and when you're out of the house)
6. Register with the [Canadian Marketing Association's] Do Not Contact Service to reduce the amount of junk mail delivered to your house. - Substitute MPS.
7. Eat less meat (particularly feedlot beef) - For practical purposes I'm vegetarian, with occasional exceptions.
8. Walk, bike, carpool or take public transit as often as possible - I have to admit to weakness on this.
9. Make sure you know what can be recycled in your area, and try to recycle as much household waste as possible
10. Compost using an outdoor compost bin or an indoor vermicomposter - No space for it
11. Clean or replace filters on your furnace and air conditioner
12. Buy local, organic or fair trade food where possible - pol said "Interesting set of choices - which is worse? Local intensively farmed foods, or organic/fairtrade shipped across the world?" and I can only echo that. Seems like there are a lot of different and somewhat conflicting concerns mixed up there.
13. Reduce air travel - I would like to decide never to fly again, but I suspect I will be obliged to by family or work at some point.
14. Wrap your water heater in an insulation blanket - Was done before we got here, though we could maybe get a thicker one.
15. Use a clothesline instead of a dryer whenever possible - Actually a rack; in any case, we have no powered dryer.
16. Plant a tree - Where?
17. Buy fresh foods instead of frozen (Frozen food uses 10 times more energy to produce) - More fresh food goes to waste though. We use a mixture.
18. Keep your car tuned up and your tires inflated to their optimal pressure - Or get rid of the car, but I don't have the will to do that.
19. Use biodegradable dishwashing liquid, laundry soap powder, etc. - I think so.
20. Drink tap water (filtered if necessary) rather than buying bottled water
21. Turn the tap off while brushing your teeth - Usually.
22. Unplug seldom-used appliances and chargers for phones, cameras, etc., when you're not using them - Though I tested power consumption and found most chargers would draw less than a watt.
23. Plug air leeks and drafts around doors and windows with weatherstripping
24. Switch from disposable to reusable products: food and beverage containers, cups, plates, writing pens, razors, diapers, towels, shopping bags, etc. - Sometimes forget to take shopping bags though.
25. Consider garage sales, Freecycle, eBay, or borrowing from friends/family before buying a new tool or appliance
26. Reuse bathwater, maybe to flush the loo, water the garden, etc. - Not sure how I would get it to the loo. We have no garden and the communal gardens seem to do pretty well with rainwater. We usually shower anyway, and our water consumption is well below average.
27. Make sure your roof is well-insulated. - I think it is, but as tenants it's not really our choice.
28. Always wear a jumper/sweater and socks indoors unless it's warm enough outdoors to go without both. - No, but we have the heating set pretty low.
29. Run your vehicle on biofuel/sustainable fuels - No, that's not a very good idea. So far as I know there is no sustainable fuel, though I believe the sun will carry on burning for a while yet.
30. Set up a grey water barrel to use when clean water isn't necessary - Not an option given we're in a block of flats.